Just munching on raw vegetables might not sound appealing to you, which is why I am giving you some ideas for a variety of simple ways to get in a few servings of vegetables each day.
Even if you (or family members) are not a big fan of veggies, there are ways to sneak them into your diet.
There are seven different ways to get started (I cover more details in my programs, but here is a little freebie tip for you to run with).
These are easy to remember because they all start with the letter “s” –
· Soups- homemade sneak in small, diced veggies; blend/food process cooked/steamed veggies and mix the blended veggies with the rest of the soup and soup broth to create a creamy soup (without the cream)
· Salads- dark leafy greens and 2-4 other veggies with a protein & healthy fat
· Smoothies- blend in veggies, such as kale, spinach, carrot, avocado
· Side dishes- with lunch and dinner (steamed, sautéed, roasted, raw); substitute pasta for zucchini, sweet potatoes, or butternut squash noodles; substitute rice for cauliflower, beet, sweet potato, butternut squash, or broccoli rice
· Snacks- carrot, celery, broccoli, cucumber or cauliflower with a dip like hummus, guacamole, salsa, or even your favorite salad dressing
· Sandwiches- add some greens and other veggies to make your sandwiches more nutrient-dense; choose lettuce wraps for grain free/gluten free option; add diced raw or steamed veggies into a chicken or tuna salad; break out the food processor to make a healthy version of aioli (or any sandwich spread)using raw or steamed veggies, such as peppers or spinach
· Stir-fry- make a homemade stir-fry and add in any cooked veggies with some added protein (i.e., shrimp, chicken, tofu, lean beef). Make a healthy, no artificial sugar sauce to go over the stir-fry. Yummy!
· Sauces- think homemade sauces from fresh, whole foods. Make a healthy red sauce using fresh herbs (garlic, basil, oregano, parsley) with a can of organic crushed tomatoes (bpa free can and lid of course)
Let me know your favorite ideas in the comments below.